Changes to your address
Moving out of borough/ within the borough: complete the change of address form.
For all other changes, complete the change in circumstances form by registering or logging into your benefits account. Additional evidence is likely to be required and is listed below.
Evidence for changes to people and household
Nature of change and evidence required for council tax support claims only:
Adult joining the household as partner
Claimant in receipt of one of the following welfare benefits; Universal Credit, Income Support 9IS), Jobseeker's Allowance - JSA(IB), Employment and Support Allowance ESA(IR) or Pension Credits
Adult joining the household as partner
Claimant not in receipt of one of the above welfare benefits
- If not working; evidence of current income
- If working: evidence of how they are supporting themselves
Adult joining the household as non-dependant
Over the age of 18 or 6 or over and not in full time education.
- If working: payslips covering last 2 months. If this is not available letter or contract of employment from the employer showing salary and hours worked.
Child or young person joining the household
Child is someone in non-advanced education for whom you get child benefit and is aged below 20.
Young person is someone in non-advanced education for whom you get child benefit and is aged below 20 and for whom you do not get child benefit
- Birth certificate for new baby
- Child benefit or further statement/evidence to show main residency of child
- 16s and over - statement they are in non-advanced education or relevant training (e.g. A levels, sixth form)
- Three children or more, child tax credit statement
Child or young person leaving full-time non-advanced education
Household member leaving household
- If claimant has no income: evidence of how they are supporting themselves
Evidence for changes to income and capital
Nature of change and evidence required for housing benefit claim/joint housing benefit and council tax support claim:
Starting new employment - earnings for claimant/partner
- Letter or contract of employment from the employer showing salary and hours worked.
Change to existing employment earnings - claimant/partner
- Payslips covering last 2 months. If this is not available letter or contract of employment from the employer showing salary and hours worked.
End of earnings
- Termination of employment letter or equivalent evidence
Change to, or update of, self-employed earnings
- Complete self-employed form and simple summary from start of business / date of significant change up to the current date of takings and expenditure (not just tax return). Or give a forecast of estimated income. Clear separation of any expense relating to both home and work
Capital, savings and investments
- If you are of working age with capital/savings more than £6,000 and less than £16,000: last two months' bank statements from all accounts held; savings books must be made up to date.
- If you re of pension age with capital / savings more than £10,000 and less than £16,000: last two months bank statements from all accounts held; savings books must be made up to date.
- If you are of pension age and you are in receipt of Pension Guarantee Credit we accept claims with capital over £16,000 and no evidence is required.
Other income changes
- Documents from the organisation or person paying the income. Must be clear what it is, and when it started.
Change to student income in advanced education (e.g. university)
- Student Finance document showing amount of grant/loan, broken down into elements. Also includes term dates and duration of the course.
Change to non-dependant income
- If working 16 hours and more; proofs of all current income
- If no income: provide a letter saying how they re managing their living expenses.
- Students - provide exemption certificate.
Change to childcare costs
- Childminder registration/invoice/agreement, period of child care and cost clearly stating the name of the child(ren) care is being provided for
- Childcare vouchers - letter/award of vouchers
- Details if full-time or term-time arrangements
Change to Statutory Sick Pay