Housing Benefit overpayments

An overpayment is where you have been paid more Housing Benefit than you are entitled to. An overpayment may be caused by a change in your circumstances.

Please do not ignore any letters we send to you about an overpayment, as debts will not go away, and if we have to take further action to recover the debt through the courts the amount you owe will increase.

How will I know if I have an overpayment?

When an overpayment has been identified we will write advising you:

  • there is a recoverable overpayment
  • what caused the overpayment
  • the dates and the amount of the overpayment
  • how the overpayment was calculated
  • what to do if you disagree with the overpayment
  • how to make a payment

We will also try to phone you to discuss the repayment of the overpayment.

How is the overpayment recovered?

If you are still getting Housing Benefit we may reduce this each week by the amount shown on your notification letter.

If you feel that the amount we are recovering each week is causing you hardship; you can write to ask us to lower it. In order for us to consider this, please submit:

Please note we may ask for more details.

If you stop getting Housing Benefit we may invoice you. If we paid your benefits to your landlord we may ask the landlord to repay us.

If you have been overpaid Council Tax Support we shall recover the overpayment from your Council Tax account and you will receive a revised bill.

What if the overpayment wasn't my fault?

Even if the overpayment wasn't your fault you may still be required to repay - for example, if the Council could reasonably expect you to know that you were being overpaid.

Can I appeal against an overpayment?

You can appeal against an overpayment in writing within one month from the date you were notified about it. You can appeal against the calculation and whom the overpayment should be recovered from. You can write to us or complete the overpayments appeal form.

Ways to pay your invoice

  • Direct debit - a direct debit can be set up to collect an agreed amount from your bank account each month. Please call our Customer Operations Team to set this up on 01372 474474.
  • Pay Online - You will need your overpayment invoice number this is the eight digit number that begins four zero (40) listed on your overpayment invoice. There are clear instructions that will help your to make your payment.
  • Home Banking / Bacs Payment - Please quote: Sort Code: 30-00-00, Bank Account Number: 00272108, invoice number must be quoted (either eight figure number beginning with 4 or seven figure number beginning with HB).
  • Credit / debit card - This can be used both at the Council Offices and by phone via an automated telephone payment facility on 0330 088 4695.
  • Repaying by instalments - if you are unable to repay this overpayment in full then please phone the Customer Operations Team on 01372 474474 to discuss the matter further.

Please note we cannot accept cash payments.  

Services by A-Z