Speak at a planning committee
Any planning application on the sub-committee or planning committee agenda will be eligible for public speaking.
Agendas and reports are published at least 5 working days before the meeting, see:
- Planning Committee - meets to discuss larger planning applications
- East Area Planning Sub-committee - Claygate, Esher, Hinchley Wood & Weston Green, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton
- North Area Planning Sub-committee - Hersham, Walton, West Molesey, East Molesey
- South Area Planning Sub-committee - Cobham, Oatlands & Burwood Park, St. Georges Hill, Brooklands, Weybridge, Oxshott & Stoke D’Abernon
Who can speak
Only those that have registered to speak prior to the meeting can address the committee.
One objector will be permitted to speak against any application going to committee. The applicant (or their agent) can also register to speak in support of an application.
Register to speak
To register your interest to speak on a planning application:
- call us on 01372 474474 to register with Customer Services - lines open midday on Monday one week before the meeting for area sub-committees and midday on Tuesday one week before planning committees
- complete the register to speak form
You will need to register by midday on the previous Thursday before the meeting for area sub-committees or Friday for planning committees.
We will contact you once registration closes to notify you of whether you were the first to register or not. This means we will not be able to contact you until after midday on Thursday for area sub-committees, or after midday on Friday for planning committees.
Speakers are chosen on a first-come, first-served basis, and only one person will be allowed to address the committee. It is possible for a spokesperson to be appointed to put across the combined views of objectors at the meeting. Your details will therefore be passed on to any subsequent callers, who may contact you.
Attend a meeting
Get details of upcoming council meetings and book to attend a meeting, see council meetings.
Once public speaking on an application has taken place there will be no further opportunities to speak.
If the application is deferred to another meeting of the same committee, public speaking will not be repeated.
If an application is referred from an area sub-committee to the full planning committee public speaking will take place at the new committee.
Depending on the timing of the Planning Committee, the period for registering to speak for a referred item may be reduced. In this instance the public speaker from the area sub-committee would be contacted to ask if they wish to speak at the Planning Committee.
What the committee considers
The committee can consider:
- external design, appearance and layout
- highway safety and parking
- loss of light or overshadowing
- loss of amenity
- residential amenity
The committee cannot consider:
- the applicant's morals or motives
- effect on property values
- loss of a view
- matters covered by other legislation
What happens at the meeting
At the meeting:
- a planning officer will introduce the application by outlining the scheme and reporting any late information that has been received between the time the agenda was printed and noon on the Friday before the date of the meeting
- the chair of the committee will invite you to speak, and you will be given 3 minutes to outline your views - this time limit is strictly enforced
- you cannot ask questions of councillors, officers or others - the chair of the committee may allow members of the committee to ask for clarification of any points you raised
- no documents can be circulated at the meeting by either the objector or applicant - if you wish the committee to take anything additional into account, it should be submitted as a representation at least 2 working days before the meeting to ensure that it can be recorded as a late representation and published on the council’s website for the public to review
- the applicant or agent will then have the same amount of time to present his/her response - the chair of the committee may allow members of the committee to ask for clarification
- the committee will proceed with its deliberations on the application
Plans relating to all items considered at the committee are available to view within the agenda and against the relevant application reference on the website. No plans are shown on our webcast portal.