Volunteering opportunities available for Meals on Wheels drivers across Elmbridge
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, the majority of our volunteering opportunities are currently suspended.
However, we have an ongoing need for Meals on Wheels drivers to help deliver our service to vulnerable residents across the borough.
We have introduced a range of processes and procedures to ensure the safety of our volunteers:
- All volunteers will be provided with full PPE, including masks, gloves, hand sanitiser and wipes, aprons and disposal bags.
- Volunteers will be asked to sanitise surfaces within their vehicle before starting their round.
- 2-metre distancing will be conducted when volunteers collect meals from the kitchen.
- Volunteers will deliver meals to clients on their doorstep, to allow for 2-metre distancing to be maintained. For those clients who are unable to answer the door, they have been instructed to maintain social distancing with the volunteer when they let themselves into the property.
If you are interested in becoming a Meals on Wheels driver, please call 01372 474 552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit the Council’s volunteering guidance webpage to see what other opportunities are available during this time.
For more information on Council services, please see our Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.
Want to know what volunteering opportunities are available near you? Check out our current volunteering vacancies.
Looking for a way to make the most of your time and skills? Want to support your local community? Community Support Services at Elmbridge has plenty of opportunities to help you utilize your skills or learn new ones, all whilst helping support elderly and vulnerable residents across the borough.
Volunteering doesn’t need to be a full-time commitment. A couple of hours every fortnight could be all it takes to help make a difference to your local community. Our services run all across the borough, so no matter where you live in Elmbridge, there’s bound to be opportunities near you.
If you’re interested in volunteering with us, call the Community Support Team on 01372 474 552 or email email@example.com
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer short term volunteering opportunities or Duke of Edinburgh placements. For a list of other volunteering placements available in the borough, please contact Central Surrey Voluntary Action.
What’s on offer?
Elmbridge Council runs a variety of services for residents, from our seven Centres for the Community and Meals on Wheels to our Dementia Services, Cobham and Molesey Link groups and more.
Our volunteers have a wide range of roles and skills, all of which help support the community. Some of the roles we have on offer include:
- Delivering meals on wheels to vulnerable residents
- Assisting our Dementia Services Team with their groups, support meetings and social evenings
- Helping to run activities for adults with learning disabilities
- Providing refreshments at a Tea Bar or Community Cafe
- Greeting visitors to our Centres at the information desk
- Helping with DIY and community projects as part of our Men in Sheds scheme.
- Helping grow plants and vegetables as part of our Gardeners under Glass project.
- Supporting our kitchen staff with preparing lunches for our Centre visitors and Meals on Wheels service.
- Help manage the gardens at our Centres for the Community.
- Leading a community singing group in Weybridge
- Running a stroke support group
- Help members of our knitting group produce items for their charity sale
How to get started
Once you’ve decided on a role, our Volunteer Coordinator can meet with you to discuss what opportunities are available near you, and guide you through the application process. As part of the process we will need to collect two references, and many of our roles also require a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, but we can help you with this as well.
Once the application is completed, you’ll be put in touch with a member of the Community Support Team who will help you get started in your new role.
Think you could help? Any other questions? Contact the Community Support Team on 01372 474 552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for other ways to volunteer?
Elmbridge Borough Council has other volunteering opportunities across a variety of teams. From helping the Family Support Team to leading Healthy Walks or supporting the Countryside Team with vital conservation work across our green spaces. Please see volunteering and work experience for full details.
For other volunteering opportunities across Elmbridge, including those suitable for short term and Duke of Edinburgh award participants, contact Central Surrey Voluntary Action to see what’s available near you. Full contact details can be found on Central Surrey Voluntary Action website.