Register your food business

Find out how to register your food business.

You are required by law to register your food business 28 days before you open.

This applies to most types of food business, including cafes, restaurants, catering business run from home, mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans, and catering business operating in village halls or conference centres.

If you use 2 or more premises, you will need to register all of them.

It’s free to register.Register your food business on GOV.UK

If you use premises in more than 1 local authority you must register with each authority separately.


The majority of premises have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, for example those that are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. Contact us if you think you might be exempt.

Childminding businesses

If you are setting up a childminding business and you will be providing food as part of your service, please visit Food Standards Agency: guidance for childminders.