You must tell us straight away if there has been a change in your circumstances or details that may alter your existing Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support entitlement.
Telling other government departments - such as the Inland Revenue, Job Centre Plus or the Department for Works and Pensions - does not mean that we will be notified about the changes.
If you receive pension credit you must tell the pension service about any changes. If you don't tell us about a change you could lose benefit or be overpaid Housing/Council Tax Support.
Changes you must tell us about
Tell us straight away if:
- any of your children leave school, leave home or stop getting Child Benefit
- anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and sub-tenants)
- your income or the income of anyone living with you (including other benefits) changes
- your savings or investments change to over £6,000
- you, or anyone living with you, become a student, go on a youth training scheme, go into hospital or a nursing home, go into prison, or get, change or leave a job
- your rent changes
- you move home
- you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than four weeks
- you receive any decision from the Home Office
- anything else you have told us about changes
How to tell us about your changes
You must tell us about these changes in writing. You need to let us know what has changed and the date the change took place, giving as many details as possible. We usually need some proof of any changes and we require original documents.
For Housing Benefit you have one month from the date of the change to tell us, for Council Tax Support you must tell us within 21 days. If you delay telling us about any of these changes, you may lose money that you are entitled to or you may get too much benefit or support which you will have to repay.
It is an offence not to tell us about any change of circumstances that affects your benefit. We may take court action against you and if we pay you too much benefit, you may have to pay it back.
If you are a landlord, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.