How your Council Tax is spent


Your Council Tax is collected by Elmbridge Borough Council and shared between Elmbridge, Surrey County Council and Surrey Police to provide your local services. Residents living in Claygate pay slightly more as a contribution to Claygate Parish Council.

Each of these organisations provides different services and charge different amounts, see: 

Council Tax increase 2023 to 2024

For the year 2023 to 2024, your total Council Tax has increased by 3.3%.

Surrey County Council’s general expenditure and Adult Social Care percentage increase shown on your bill is calculated using the total of both charges last year.

This total has increased by 0.99% for Surrey County Council general expenditure and 2.0% for Adult Social Care expenditure. Surrey County Council’s combined increase is 2.99%. (By law the breakdown of this overall increase is shown to 1 decimal place on your bill against each expenditure, being 1.0% and 2.0%.)

The Adult Social Care part of Surrey County Council’s overall increase can only be used to fund adult social care services.

Share of Council Tax: summary

Percentage of Council Tax to organisations providing services: 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024
Organisation Percentage - outside of Claygate Parish Percentage - in Claygate Parish
Surrey County Council (including Adult Social Care) 75% 74%
Surrey Police 14% 14%
Elmbridge Borough Council 11% 11%
Claygate Parish Council 0% 1%

Share of Council Tax: details

Although Elmbridge Borough Council collects all of the Council Tax for the borough, we only receive 11.3% of the money collected. The bulk of the money goes to Surrey County Council and Surrey Police for their services in this borough.

Residents living in Claygate pay slightly more as a contribution to the Claygate Parish Council, which is set by the Parish Councillors. Last year we collected a total of £131million in Council Tax for all of the above organisations, with a collection rate of 98.4%, one of the best in the country.

We also collect business rates acting as an agent for Central Government and Surrey County Council, and as principal in respect of our own proportion of receipts under the new Business Rates Retention Scheme, where the collection rate was 94.6%.

For information on where the council’s income comes from, who spends it and a comparison of Elmbridge’s Council Tax with the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) and the Retail Prices Index (RPI) see:

More information

To find out more see: