Home energy efficiency

Getting your home ready for winter

Whilst winter is a long way off, it's never too early to prepare and Action Surrey can help provide the following:

  • boiler servicing to avoid winter breakdowns
  • boiler replacement (grants are available subject to eligibility)
  • draught proofing to seal any gaps around windows and doors
  • insulating of hot water cylinders and pipes
  • advice to understand their fuel bills and find a cheaper supplier
  • access to grants for cavity wall and loft insulation

Visit the Action Surrey website for more information or call 0800 783 2503.

Help and support for people on low incomes, the disabled and those aged over 60

  • Warm Homes Discount scheme - this scheme is available to those on low incomes, with disabilities and / or aged over 60

  • Winter fuel payments - residents over pension credit qualifying age may qualify

  • Cold weather payments - for households on low incomes

  • Priority Services Register (PSR) - if you are a pensioner, disabled or chronically ill, you can sign up to your energy supplier’s PSR, to get help and support with your energy supply

  • Affordable Warmth Obligation - if you are on a low income and own or privately rent your home then you may be eligible to get help with all or part of the costs of insulation work or replacing or repairing your boiler

  • Energy Company Obligation (ECO): New funding for ECO3 is due in January 2019 - In the meantime local authorities in Surrey, including Elmbridge Council, are working with Action Surrey to identify qualifying households to access energy efficiency funding under the Government ECO: Help to Heat scheme which is open to those residents who own their own home or rent from a private landlord.  The scheme is aimed at those who are experiencing difficulties in keeping warm due to low income and high fuel costs or are particularly vulnerable to living in a cold home as a result of, for example, suffering from long term illness which is made worse by the cold.  Contact Action Surrey  who will help in assessing a household for eligibility against the agreed criteria and will refer households to an appropriate energy.  

Advice on energy saving around the home

  • Action Surrey - offers free and impartial energy advice on what energy efficiency improvements can be made to your property, how they work and what the benefits are. It also manages a network of local trusted installers    

  • Energy Savings Trust  

  • Home Energy Check- a free online tool that residents can use to find out how to lower their energy bills

  • Switching suppliers- lists Ofgen accredited energy price comparison sites

Renewable Energy

What financial help can we offer?

In limited circumstances, we can offer energy efficiency  top-up grants of up to £2,000 to residents in receipt of means-tested benefits. Applicants will be expected to initially look to explore funding through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) route before applying to us for help.

Grants can be provided for heating systems and insulation.  

We can, in partnership with the Parity Trust, in certain cases offer home-owners financial help towards meeting the cost of certain energy efficiency measures through home trust loans.

Contact pshousing@elmbridge.gov.uk for more information.

We do not offer grants to pay for loft or cavity wall insulation and we do not install insulation into residents' homes.  To find out about current offers of free or discounted insulation, we would recommend that you contact your energy provider or get in touch with Action Surrey.

Find out how much heat is being lost from your home

Find out more about our interactive mapping tool that can help you get an indication of how much heat is lost from your home.

Home Energy Conservation Act (HECA) Report March 2017

The Home Energy Conservation Act (HECA) 1995 requires councils to publish reports on the progress being made in their areas in improving the energy efficiency of the local housing stock in their areas and the plans in place to make further improvements.  Our latest report was published in March 2017 and covers reports on progress over 2015 and 2016.

Our latest HECA report 

Services by A-Z