We believe that social media is an important part in how people live their lives.
At Elmbridge Borough Council, we are adaptable and continually changing how we improve the way we work. We pride ourselves in being open.
We have a set of house rules on how we use social media and how we expect people to use it too.
What we will do…
- We will confirm it’s us. If you see an Elmbridge Borough Council account online you can check it's us. We have listed our social media accounts below:
- Twitter: @elmbridgebc
- Facebook: MyElmbridge
- Instagram: My Elmbridge
- LinkedIn: Elmbridge Borough Council
- Nextdoor: Elmbridge Borough Council
- We will listen. We will read all messages and look to flag-up problems with the most relevant part of the organisation. We are keen to hear from our residents.
- We will say when we’ll monitor each account. We will not be online 24-hours a day. But we will say when we will be online on each social media account we use.
- We will be human and polite. Our tone will always be polite.
- We will follow people where we can. But this doesn’t mean endorse.
What we would like from you in return…
- We would like you to be polite. We know that sometimes things don’t go to plan and you will want to flag things up with us. But do remember, we are human and the person monitoring the social media account is only trying to help.
- We will not tolerate swearing, threats or abuse online. We will not deal with your social media query in these instances.
- We would like you not to be personal. If you have a complaint to make against an individual, we will look at it. You can complain through our website.
- We would like you not to spam or advertise. Our social media channels are not the place for followers to advertise. Making the same points over and over – otherwise known as spamming – isn’t for our social media. You would be better off making a complaint or contacting us another way so we can look into the issue for you.
Of course, most of the time social media works fine but on the rare occasion where you don’t stick to the house rules, we reserve the right to delete offending content and block you from contacting us again through that route. We also reserve the right to contact the police.
If you have any questions about our social media, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.