Reporting a death (council tax)

If someone dies, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can take appropriate action and update our records quickly.

How to report

Please complete the Tell Us Once form if you haven’t already.

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go. 

Property is still occupied

Council tax is calculated on the assumption that two or more adults 18 years or older are living at an address. After a death, if only one adult is left living at the address they can request a 25% discount on their council tax bills.

Once you have reported the death, you can apply to reduce your bill.

If you have any questions about the process, please contact us.

Property is no longer occupied

Where a property is unoccupied and at the date of death the deceased:

  • was the sole owner or leaseholder (leasehold for a term greater than six months), or
  • was the sole tenant (tenancy for a term greater than six months)

the property can be made exempt from paying council tax as long as the property has remained unoccupied continuously since the date of death.

The exemption will apply until:

  • six months after the grant of probate,or
  • six months after letters of administration have been made,or
  • the end of any tenancy or sold date if earlier

Once a grant of probate or letters of administration have been made, please let us know as soon as possible so we can update our records.

The exemption does not apply where the property is jointly owned, leased, or tenanted by the deceased and another living person(s).

Services by A-Z