Help with paying your council tax

We may be able to help if you are struggling to pay your council tax.

Forms on this page can be completed on My Account. 

Not registered for My Account? 
Sign up now

Pay in 12 instalments instead of 10

You usually pay your council tax bill in instalments over 10 months, but you can request to pay in 12 monthly instalments.

Request to pay in 12 monthly instalments on My Account

Payment arrangement

If you have outstanding arrears of council tax and are finding it difficult to pay, we may be able to set up a payment plan for you. 

Request for help with paying council tax bill on My Account 

Money off your bill

There are some discounts and exemptions that mean you may be able to reduce the amount of council tax you have to pay.

Reduce your bill - discounts and exemptions

Council tax support

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to council tax support.

Council tax support

Telephone appointment

You can book a phone appointment to discuss your circumstances.

Request to book a telephone appointment on My Account

Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are short-term payments to help with rent if you are experiencing financial hardship. DHPs can be awarded as a one-off payment or series of payments.

DHPs – eligibility and how to apply

Free debt advice

National Debtline and the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) offer free debt advice. Local CAB branches are Walton-on-Thames: 01932 248660 and Esher: 01372 464770.

Services by A-Z