Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a monthly payment for working-age households to help with living costs. You may be able to get help if you’re on a low income or out of work. To find out more about UC visit the government website.

Universal Credit will replace the following benefits: 

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Housing Benefit

  • Income Support

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

  • Working Tax Credit 

If you are liable to pay Council Tax and need help with paying it. 

UC customers: Do not request council tax support if you have applied for UC.  When the DWP notifies us about your UC award we will assess your eligibility for council tax discount and send you a revised council tax bill.  The council tax support award amount will be backdated to the date of your UC award date.

Customers who do not claim UC: Complete a new claim form by registering or logging into your benefits account.

Who will it affect?

Universal Credit affects new claimants and existing claimants with a significant change in circumstances.

How to claim 

You will need to make your Universal Credit application online.

You cannot backdate your Universal Credit claim so it is important that you make your claim as soon as possible. 
A step-by-step video guide has been produced to show how to make and manage a claim for Universal Credit online.

Struggling to pay your rent?

If you receive Universal Credit (Housing Costs) and you are struggling to pay any shortfall in your rent, you can apply to Elmbridge Borough Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

Information for landlords

Landlords can find out more about their responsibilities and information about the local housing allowance.



Services by A-Z