High hedges

Making a complaint about a high hedge

If you are the owner or occupier of a home affected by a high hedge, you can make a complaint to us if all of the following apply:

  • the hedge consists of two or more predominantly evergreen trees or shrubs
  • the hedge is forming a barrier to light or access to your home of garden
  • attempts have been made to amicably resolve the problem with the owner of the hedge
  • the hedge is 2m or more in height

What we do

Our role is not to mediate or negotiate between the complainant and the hedge owner, but to judge whether the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property.

If the circumstances justify it, we will issue a remedial notice to the owner of the hedge setting out the action they must take to remedy the problem and the date by which they must comply. The notice may specify future work on the hedge to ensure that it is maintained at a reasonable height.

The hedge owner has the right to appeal to the Secretary of State against the issue of a remedial notice.


We charge a non-refundable fee of £550 for this service, which needs to be paid when the complaint is submitted. There will be no further fee for any subsequent appeal.

Before making a complaint

Before you submit a formal complaint, we strongly advise that you read all of the government’s guidance and calculate the required hedge height yourself to assess whether you are likely to achieve your desired outcome.

If you would like to make a complaint, please complete the complaint form.    

Services by A-Z