Living in shared accommodation?

If you live in certain types of shared accommodation in the borough, we’d like to hear from you. 

Your landlord has extra legal responsibilities if the property you share with other tenants is a house in multiple occupation (HMO).  Your landlord will need a licence for the property if it meets certain criteria. 

You live in a licensable HMO if:

  • there are 5 or more tenants and they are from 2 or more households

  • you share facilities, such as a bathroom or kitchen

  • you rent privately

If your landlord gets a licence, it ensures your home meets health and safety, as well as fire safety standards, giving you peace of mind that your home is safe.

Get in touch today to let us know about your home if it’s a licensable HMO.  Call 01372 474645 or email for landlords is also available.

Date published: 13 March 2019

Services by A-Z