Discretionary test and trace support payments

Apply for the discretionary test and trace self-isolation payment

If you’re working but not receiving benefits, you may still be entitled to the test and trace self-isolation payment under a discretionary scheme and can apply using our online application form

For further details, please read the discretionary test and trace self-isolation policy.

Who can get a discretionary test and trace support payment?

To get the test and trace support payment, you must meet the following criteria:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because you’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, and
  • you have signed up and completed the test and trace journey. Receiving the initial notification to isolate will not qualify for the grant, and  
  • been notified to self-isolate and
  • be employed or self-employed, and
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
  • not currently receiving any of the following benefits: universal credit, working tax credit, income-based employment and support allowance, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income support, housing benefit or pension credit, and
  • your household income should be less than £20,000 a year, although consideration will be given for higher annual incomes if we are provided with a suitable justification that is in the spirit of the grant and
  • your claim is within 28 days of the last day of your self-isolation           

You must meet all the criteria above to be eligible for a payment.

Before making an application

Before you make an application, make sure you have the following information:

  • your unique ID number as provided by NHS Test and Trace
  • national insurance number
  • bank account and sort code 
  • details of your employment
  • an email/correspondence from your employer confirming that as a result of your isolation you will lose pay, as a result of the terms of your contract.
  • statement covering the last month
  • if employed: photos or scanned image of your most recent wage slip
  • if you are self-employed: photos or scanned image of self-assessment returns, trading income.

You will receive this payment via BACS transfer. The payment will be for £500 and is subject to tax. However, you will not be taxed at the point of payment, we will inform Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) of the payment. 

Services by A-Z