Test and trace support payments

Apply for the test and trace self-isolation payment

Receiving benefits and working? You can apply for the test and trace self-isolation £500 support payment.

UK residents who test positive for COVID-19 or are identified by NHS Test and Trace as a close contact, have a legal duty to self-isolate. As this new legal duty may impact your ability to work and earn a living, the government has introduced a scheme for those who are having to self-isolate and this scheme will run until 30 September 2021.

If you receive a notification from NHS Test and Trace to stay at home and self-isolate because you have tested positive for coronavirus, or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, you will receive a £500 payment if you are eligible under the scheme criteria (see below). You will need the NHS Test and Trace unique 8 digit identifier number when you apply.

Parents/guardians can apply for a test and trace payment for a child (backdated to 8 March self-isolation period) if you are

  • living in the same household as the child who is self-isolating
  • you need to take time off work to care for them and cannot work from home.

Please upload a letter from the school confirming your child is self-isolating through contact us.

Who can get a test and trace support payment?

To get the test and trace support payment, you must meet the following criteria:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or by the NHS COVID-19 app, either because you’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, and
  • you have signed up and completed the test and trace journey. Receiving the initial notification to isolate will not qualify for the grant, and  
  • be employed or self-employed, and
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
  • be currently receiving at least one of the following benefits: universal credit, working tax credit, income-based employment and support allowance, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income support, housing benefit or pension credit, and
  • your claim is within 28 days of the last day of your self-isolation           

You must meet all of the criteria above to be eligible for a payment.

If you are not receiving benefits but face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work due to self-isolating, you may still be entitled under a discretionary scheme

Before making an application

Before you make an application, make sure you have the following information:

  • your unique ID number as provided by NHS Test and Trace. If you have been told to self-isolate by the NHS COVID-19 app, follow the steps to get your unique ID number.
  • national insurance number
  • bank account and sort code 
  • details of your employment
  • photos or scanned image of your bank statement covering the last month, must show your name and account number
  • if employed: photos or scanned image of your most recent wage slip
  • if you are self-employed: photos or scanned image of self-assessment returns, trading income.

You will receive this payment via BACS transfer. The payment will be for £500 and is subject to tax. However, you will not be taxed at the point of payment, we will inform Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) of the payment. 

Services by A-Z