Temporary event notice (TEN)

If you wish to hold an occasional event in England or Wales that involves the sale of alcohol or the provision of entertainment, you must give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

We advise you apply for your TEN at least six weeks before the event. Don't leave it to the last minute in case there is an objection or problem.

How to submit a TEN

Submit through our online facility at the top of this page or download the temporary event notice application form and return this form in duplicate.

Standard TEN (minimum notice period):
10 working days - exclusive of the day on which the event is to start, and exclusive of the day on which the notice is given.

Late TEN (minimum notice period):
9-5 working days - exclusive of the day on which the event is to start, and exclusive of the day on which the notice is given (you can only have two of these per calendar year as a non-personal licence holder and if the Police or Pollution Control Authority object, the TEN will be invalid).

A TEN must be received by the Local Authority and copied to the Police and the Pollution Control Authority at Elmbridge Borough Council within the timeframes specified for Standard or Late TENS. If you submit your TEN through our online facility it will be copied to these authorities automatically.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

Fee and payment

The fee is £21.

Please note payment must be made at the same time a TEN is submitted. Your submission will be invalid and cannot be processed further if you don't submit the fee with your TEN.

The Licensing Act 2003 makes no provision for refunds. This includes where a notice is withdrawn or submitted in error.

What activities are licensable?

  • Any sale or supply of alcohol - (including giving it away as part of a wider ticket e.g. "fish and chip supper including free glass of wine" or "complimentary" with a haircut).

  • Entertainment - consisting of plays, films, an indoor sporting event, boxing or wrestling, a performance of live or recorded music, any playing of recorded music, any performance of dance, or entertainment of a similar description where the entertainment is for the public. Additionally, if the entertainment is private but intended to make a profit this is a licensable activity, no matter to whom or to where the proceeds go. This includes fund-raising activities.

Larger events

In general, the licensing authority expects organisers of large events to apply for a premises licence and to supply an event management and safety plan with their application. This allows for the maximum consultation period and full consideration by the responsible authorities (police, fire and rescue, environmental health etc.) and the public.

If any of the following apply to you, please email licensing@elmbridge.gov.uk to determine whether a TEN or a premises licence application would be most appropriate:

  • there will be 200 or more persons attending the event

  • you need an event management plan for the event

  • the event will be outdoors, and music will be provided

  • the event is not at a premises where people ordinarily gather (e.g. a village or church hall)

  • you will be using a temporary structure such as a stage or similar

  • the event will be at a premises where an alcohol or entertainment licence does not exist

  • the event will last several days

The above list is not exhaustive. Any queries about the most appropriate authorisation for your event, please contact licensing@elmbridge.gov.uk. Be aware that TENs for larger scale events are more likely to attract objections from the police or environmental health.

Do I need a risk assessment?

It is your responsibility to ensure you are running a safe event and that you have the knowledge, skills, abilities and competence to put on a safe event, and be prepared to get expertise and assistance as necessary to fulfil that duty.

A risk assessment will help you decide whether you have done everything you need to. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has tools to support you.

You should ensure you consider the ongoing risk from COVID-19 and follow current government guidelines for your event. These include:

  • Providing adequate ventilation (open doors and windows to let fresh air in)

  • Clean more often - It’s especially important to clean surfaces that people touch a lot

  • Provide hand sanitiser and encourage everyone to clean their hands frequently

  • Turn people away with COVID-19 symptoms or those that are required to self-isolate

  • Keep up to date with announcements via the Government website

Surrey County Council have produced a checklist to help event organisers with their preparations.

If you are an employer looking to hold a temporary event please see the Council’s Health & Safety advice.

Further information

Contact licensing@elmbridge.gov.uk or telephone 01372 474748. 

Services by A-Z