Problem with a housing association property

There are over twenty housing associations operating as landlords in Elmbridge. Each of these organisations is independent of the council and will have their own complaints procedures.

Follow the steps below if you have a problem with your housing association home:

Step 1

If the problem cannot be resolved informally, you can make a formal complaint to your landlord.  Most housing associations have a complaints process with either two or three stages.

Step 2

If after completing your landlord’s complaints procedure, things have not been put right, you should contact a designated person to help resolve the dispute between you and your landlord.  For tenants in Elmbridge, a designated person can be an MP, an Elmbridge Borough Council councillor or a Tenant Panel recognised by your landlord.
You can ask any one of our councillors for help as a designated person, but to make the referral process as simple as possible, a small number of councillors have agreed to carry out the role on behalf of their colleagues. The complaint will be considered by one of these nominated councillors unless you state otherwise. 
If you want to refer a complaint to a local councillor, you can either contact them directly or complete the referral form and email to to pass on.

If the designated person cannot help, they can refer the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

Step 3

If the landlord’s complaints procedure has been completed, but the complaint remains unresolved, and either eight weeks have passed or the complaint has been referred by a designated person, you can ask the Housing Ombudsman to determine the complaint. 

More information is available from the Housing Ombudsman.

Services by A-Z