More than eight million households across the whole of the UK will get a cash payment from July to ease cost of living pressures. Payments will be made directly from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). Elmbridge Borough Council will not be involved in payments.
- The DWP will make the payment in two lump sums – the first from July 2022, the second in the Autumn. Payments from HMRC for those on tax credits only will follow shortly after each to avoid duplicate payments.
- To be eligible for the first instalment, claimants needed to be in receipt of one of these benefits, or have begun a claim which is later successful, as of 25 May 2022.
- This payment will be tax-free, will not count towards the benefit cap, and will not have any impact on existing benefit awards.
- These lump sums will be delivered in two slightly different payments of £326 and £324. The distinct value relates to a specific qualifying period, so it is simpler to determine if a payee received the correct payments, reducing the fraud risk of people who claim not to have had one of the specific two payments, as DWP will be able to clearly track those who have.
- All pensioner households will receive an extra £300 to help them cover the rising cost of energy this winter while people with disabilities will receive an extra £150 to help with additional costs they face.
Full information can be found on the government website.