|Skip to content
|Home page
|What's new
|Site map
|Feedback form
|List of access keys

How to register to vote

Register to vote at the European Parliamentary and Borough Council Elections on 22 May 2014 - deadline for registration is 6 May.

|Voter registration form

  • Reproduced with kind permission of Electoral CommissionClick on the link above to view the form in PDF format
  • Once open, please print and complete your details by hand
  • Send your completed form to Electoral Services, as detailed on the form
  • Please do not use Adobe Acrobat Writer as only forms with your original signature can be accepted
  • The date you will be added to the electoral register is included on the reverse page of the form

Who can register to vote?

  • People who are 16 years or over (but they must be 18 to vote), and are
  • Resident at an address within the borough, and are
  • British, Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizens. European Union citizens (except British, Irish, Maltese and Cypriot) can only vote in local elections, and if they apply separately, European Parliamentary elections.

|List of countries eligible to vote

It's not compulsory to vote but it is compulsory to register. You are not automatically registered if you pay Council Tax. If you don't register, you won't be able to vote in elections and have your say on issues that matter to you.

How can I register to vote during the annual canvass period?

Between October 2013 and February 2014, a registration form will be sent to every household in the borough to collect details of people eligible to vote. Your form show the names, if any, of people currently registered to vote at your address. You must check it carefully and either confirm there are no changes, or make the changes required.

You can view more information about the |annual canvass and how you can respond to your form. If you have no changes to make to the details on your form, you can register by telephone or |online. If you need to make changes, you can register by post.

A revised electoral register will be published on 17 February 2014. You can view it at the |Civic Centre in Esher.

How can I register to vote during Rolling Registration?

Between March and September 2014, updates to the electoral register will be published on the first working day of every month. If you have just moved home, or if you didn't put your name on the annual household registration form, you can fill in the form at the top of this page and send it to us. Each person must complete a separate form.

Depending on when we receive your form, it can take between 3 and 7 weeks for your name to appear on the electoral register. The publication dates of the register and the deadlines for submitting your form are published on the reverse. At an election, the deadline for registering to vote is 11 working days before the poll.

Electoral Register Video (|Electoral Register Video Transcript)
First Available 1/11/2011

The two versions of the register

There are two versions of the Register of Electors: the full version and the edited version. When you fill in your form, you can choose to 'opt out' of the edited version, which anyone can buy. You must make you choice clear every year on your annual canvass form, even if you have opted out before. If you prefer, you can opt out on a permanent basis. You can view more information about opting out at: |Who can access the Register of Electors?

Registering for Council Tax

The Electoral and Council Tax records are entirely separate. The information included on each is different and they are compiled separately. When you register for Council Tax you are not automatically registered to vote. |Find out more about Council Tax

I live abroad. Can I still register to vote?

If you are a British citizen living abroad you can register to vote in UK parliamentary elections for up to 15 years from the time you were last registered to vote in the UK. |Contact Electoral Services

If you are working for the British government, British Council or British armed forces overseas you can register to vote in all UK elections. |Contact Electoral Services

I have no fixed address. Can I still register to vote?

Yes. If you are living in temporary accommodation, or are homeless, or you are in prison on remand or living at a mental health institution, you can register using a Declaration of Local Connection form. |Contact Electoral Services

Where can I get more help and information?

If you need help or guidance, please contact |Electoral Services

Search A-Z of services