Single person discount

A council tax bill is charged based on the assumption of at least two adults living in a property. If you live alone or are the only person over the age of 18 living in your property, you can apply for a discount of 25%.

Register/ log into My Account and select Council tax - single person discount form to tell us that you are now living alone, or someone is moving in.

You must tell the Council within 21 days of any circumstance that may affect your entitlement. Such changes may include:

  • someone moving in or out of the property

  • another person in the house attaining the age of 18

  • the premises being sold or let

  • reporting a death

Some groups of adults (aged 18 or over) are not included when counting how many adults are living in the home for council tax purposes. If only one, or no adults are counted after excluding these groups a discount may also apply. Please see our information on occupied properties that can get a reduced bill.

Single person discount review

If you have received a letter about a single person discount review you can find out more and complete the form online.

Our Commitment

Once we have received your application including any supporting documents we will process your request within 10 working days.

Services by A-Z