As part of the government’s initiative to help households with rising energy costs, they have announced a £150 Energy Rebate for certain households.
Most households in council tax bands A-D are included.
Frequently asked questions
Who can get this £150 rebate?
You are not eligible for this payment if you are liable for council tax on second homes and empty properties on 1 April 2022.
When will I get the £150?
- If you are eligible, we are making arrangements to get this paid as soon as we can, from April 2022.
- Please do not contact us to chase this payment, we will be in touch with you.
Eligible households due to pay by direct debit on 1 May (and did not pay by direct debit on 1 April)
- If your council tax direct debit payment clears on 3 May and your details are validated as the liable tax payer, you will receive £150 in your bank account by 11 May
If you pay council tax by direct debit on 1st of each month:
- 10,000 eligible households who paid their council tax by direct debit on 1 April were paid £150 on 8 April.
If you pay council tax by direct debit on 10th of each month:
- 3,000 eligible households who have paid their council tax by direct debit on 10 April were paid £150 on 19 April.
If you pay council tax by direct debit on 20th of each month:
- 2,300 eligible households who have paid their council tax by direct debit on 20 April were paid £150 on 26 April.
How will I know if I have received the payment using my direct debit details?
Payments will show on your bank statement with a reference of 'CTE' or 'CTEREBATE' and your council tax account number.
If you don't pay by direct debit:
- You will be required to make a claim for the payment
- Please do not contact us as we have no further information other than listed on this page
- We will contact you about how to make a claim by the end of May
Where can I find out more information?
More information about the £150 Energy Rebate, as well as other ways the government is helping with rising energy costs, is available on the gov.uk website.
Advice if you are struggling to pay essential bills
I’m not in a band A to D property, but I still need help
There will be some further funding available to help households who do not qualify under the main scheme.
We will be implementing a Discretionary Scheme as soon as possible, once we have more information about this, we will publish details here.
What if I receive a payment for which I am not eligible?
If you have been paid a £150 payment for which you are not eligible please contact us.
The government and Elmbridge Borough Council will not tolerate any council tax payer falsifying their records or providing false evidence to gain access to the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund.
A council taxpayer who provides false information or makes false representation in order to benefit from the Council Tax Rebate or Discretionary Fund may be guilty of fraud under the Fraud Act 2006.