What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a monthly payment for working-age households to help with living costs. You may be able to get help if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Universal Credit will replace the following benefits: 

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Housing Benefit

  • Income Support

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

  • Working Tax Credit 

Please note: if you are liable to pay Council Tax and need help with paying it, please apply to Elmbridge Borough Council for Council Tax Support. 

Who will it affect?

Wednesday 28 November 2018 sees the roll out of Universal Credit in Elmbridge for new benefits claimants and existing claimants with a significant change in circumstances.

How to claim 

You will need to make your Universal Credit application online.

You cannot backdate your Universal Credit claim so it is important that you make your claim as soon as possible. 
A step-by-step video guide has been produced to show how to make and manage a claim for Universal Credit online.

Struggling to pay your rent?

If you receive Universal Credit (Housing Costs) and you are struggling to pay any shortfall in your rent, you can apply to Elmbridge Borough Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

Services by A-Z