The Council Tax Support scheme

The national Council Tax Benefit scheme came to an end on 31 March 2013, and has been replaced with our own locally decided Council Tax Support scheme. This followed a reduction in money from the government for the scheme.

The local Council Tax Support Scheme is subject to the nationally prescribed rules and regulations.

Working Age households will have to pay something towards their council tax. Households with pensioners, and people with disabilities, are protected if they receive specified disability benefits.

We are committed to pay out less overall than previous years and the scheme includes the following reductions:

  • Support is restricted to the level of a council tax band D charge
  • Claimants who live in a band G or H property are no longer eligible for Council Tax support, unless they are in receipt of a qualifying disability benefit
  • Claimants who have a child under 5 included in their household or where the claimant or partner are working 16 hours or more will have their Council Tax support claim based on 95% of their annual council tax liability
  • For all other groups of their Council Tax support claim will be based on 90% of their annual council tax liability

Protections for households affected by disabilities

Where at least one member of a household is disabled and receiving one of the main disability related benefits then they will be protected and not have to pay more.

If anyone in your household has a disability for which they receive specified disability benefits then your household may be exempt from these changes. You need to let us know by calling 01372 474060 or email us.

Where to get help with managing your money

The Council is working with both the local Citizens Advice Bureaux to ensure that anyone who feels that they may have problems being able to manage their money can receive money management advice. You can contact either the Walton-on-Thames branch on 01932 248660 or the Esher Branch on 01372 464770.

Where to get help with employment

The Council is working with both local Job Centre Plus offices to provide the support to help people back into work or to increase their hours. You can contact the Job Centre using the free phone number 0800 055 6688.

Services by A-Z