Housing Benefit overpayments
An overpayment is when you have been given more Housing Benefit than you should have. This may happen if there is a change in your circumstances.
We will send you a letter about any overpayments and what to do next. In some cases, we will also try to phone you to discuss the repayment.
Please do not ignore any letters we send about an overpayment. If we have to take further action to recover the debt through the courts, the amount you owe will increase.
Overpayments can be recovered:
- from your ongoing Housing Benefit award
- by an agreed repayment plan
- directly from your earnings or benefits
- directly from your landlord (if payments were made to the landlord)
- from third parties, such as enforcement agents
If the amount we are recovering each week is too high to manage, you can write to ask us to lower it.
You will need to submit:
- a personal budget sheet (PDF, 261.01KB)
- documents showing your income, outgoings and any debts, credit or loans
We may ask for more details.
How to pay
The following repayment options are available.
Standing order or direct debit
A direct debit can be set up to collect an agreed amount from your bank account each month.
Call our Customer Operations Team on 01372 474474 to make an arrangement.
If you are unable to repay this overpayment in full, you can discuss repaying by instalments.
You can pay online using our secure site by credit or debit card. You will need your overpayment invoice number. This is the eight-digit number that begins with 40.
You can pay using Home Banking or via Bacs Payment. When paying by this method please quote:
- sort code 30-00-00
- bank account number 00272108
- your overpayment invoice number - this is the 8-digit number that begins with 40
- your Housing Benefit account reference number - this is the 7-figure digit that begins with HB
You can make payments by credit or debit card by calling the council offices. Or, you can use our automated payment service by phoning 0330 088 4695.
You will need your overpayment invoice number and Housing Benefit account reference number.
We do not accept cash payments.
You can appeal against an overpayment.
You will need to request this in writing within 1 month from the date of notification.
You can write to us or complete the overpayment appeal form through My Account.