How do you rate this information /service?
How to select an Arboricultural Contractor
An Arboricultural Contractor, sometimes described as an 'Arboriculturist, 'Arborist or 'Tree Surgeon', will undertake tree work to a specification.
- Get at least two written quotes or estimates and be aware that the lowest price may not be the best one.
- Contractors may say they are members of a trade association. Check the validity of any such claim. The Arboricultural Association which produces a list of approved contractors can be contacted on 01242 522152 , or alternatively, |view their web page.
- Avoid contractors who use the words 'lopping' and 'topping'.
- Elmbridge Borough Council does not endorse any tree contractors or consultants, however the Council can provide a list of names of contractors and consultants that work in the area on a without prejudice basis.
- Many reputable contractors cover large areas of the country but you should generally avoid 'door knockers'.
- The contractor should provide proof of at least £2 million Public Liability Insurance cover.
- When undertaking any works the contractor should observe the upper parts of the tree(s) and notify the client of any symptoms of disease, decay or structural weakness.
- Any tree contractor you employ should be able to produce a certificate of competence or national competence award. The National Proficiency Test Council (NPTC) is the most usual certificate. Most contractors holding this certificate will have an identity card, which has a photograph and a list of the units of competence passed.
- Reputable contractors have got nothing to hide and will be happy to answer all of your questions.
- Once you have selected a contractor, ensure that you have written confirmation of the work to be carried out and the agreed sum. Ensure that the work includes the removal of all arisings from the site.
- When carrying out works, the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981, the Countryside & Rights of Way Act 2000 and all other legislation covering the protection of wildlife must be observed.
- All tree works should be undertaken by a specialist contractor in accordance with British Standard 3998:2010 'Recommendations for Tree Works'.
If you have any queries contact the Council's Tree Section on 01372 474787 or alternatively |email Planning Services.