Make a planning application

Make a planning application

This page will explain what you need to do to make a planning application in Elmbridge.

Steps to take

Step 1 - Check if you require planning permission and get advice

We offer a number of ways you can get advice and find out about what you can do without the need to apply for permission.

Get advice before applying   

Step 2 - Find the right application form

There are a variety of types of planning application with their own forms. By answering the questions on the National Planning Portal you will be guided to the correct form for your application which you can complete online or print and send in the post.

Forms on the Planning Portal

Step 3 - Check what you need to submit

To prevent avoidable delays or refusals, you must ensure that your application submission is accompanied with all necessary reports to meet policy requirements. Failure to provide everything needed, will result in your application remaining invalid. 

Check our validation checklist here

Flood Risk Assessments (FRAs)

In accordance with the Core Strategy policy CS26 (Flooding), Flood Risk Assessments (FRA) will be required for sites at risk from all sources of flood risk e.g. river, surface water and ground water flooding. An FRA should be undertaken by a suitably qualified person, such as a drainage engineer.

To assist in the implementation of CS26 and the submission of FRAs the Council has prepared a Flood Risk SPD which was adopted on 3 May 2016, as part of this document the following Proforma and template has been produced.

  • For major schemes, in conjunction with an FRA the Council will expect an FRA Proforma to be completed.
  • An FRA template for small scale proposals, including householder extensions.   

The level of detail required within an FRA must be proportionate to the type of development proposed and the level of flood risk. Please note, this will be more than the Environment Agency Standing Advice.

Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS)

With effect from 6 April 2015 all major planning applications are expected to have sustainable drainage systems for the management of surface water run-off, unless demonstrated to be inappropriate. Major development is development involving any one or more of the following:

(a) the winning and working of minerals or the use of land for mineral-working deposits;

(b) waste development; 

(c) the provision of dwelling houses where -

(i) the number of dwelling houses to be provided is 10 or more; or

(ii) the development is to be carried out on a site having an area of 0.5 hectares or more and it is not known whether the development falls within sub-paragraph (c)(i);

(d) the provision of a building or buildings where the floor space to be created by the development is 1,000 square metres or more;

(e) development carried out on a site having an area of 1 hectare or more

The Council will expect a SuDS proforma to be completed and signed (by a competent drainage engineer recognised by the Engineering Council, the Institution of Civil Engineers or equivalent), to be submitted with the technical evidence as part of the planning application.

Step 4 - Submit your application and pay fees

The easiest and quickest way to submit your application is to use the Planning Portal website, where you can make your application and payment online. If you don't want to use the Planning Portal you can print a form and apply by post. 

Other Information

Buy a Location Plan

Official UK Register of Architects 

Services by A-Z