Whiteley Village was designated as a Conservation Area by Elmbridge Borough Council on 6 March 1979. It is a philanthropic village built in Arts and Crafts style to a layout devised by the eminent architect Frank Atkinson. It was funded by a bequest of a million pounds in the will of William Whitely, founder of the London retail store, who died in 1907. Most of the buildings within the Village are now statutory listed.
Conservation Area Designation Statement
Conservation Area Maps
Conservation Area Map 1 of 3 - showing north boundary
Conservation Area Map 2 of 3 - showing central boundary
Conservation Area Map 3 of 3 - showing south boundary
Character Appraisal and Management Plan
The document for the Whiteley Village Conservation Area was commissioned by Whiteley Village Trust and has been produced as the result of partnership working between Elmbridge Borough Council, the Whiteley Village Trust and their consultants Phillips Planning Services, Forum Heritage Services and Context4D. The final document was endorsed on 18 July 2012.
Conservation Area Character Appraisal
Conservation Area Management Plan
Townscape Analysis Map