Me, Myself and I
Elmbridge Self Portrait Competition 2014
Photography: Painting: Drawing: Printmaking: Sculpture: Mixed Media
From the earliest cave paintings to the current trend in celebrity selfies we have always been fascinated by the idea of trying to capture the essence of who we are on canvas, film or in stone. The Elmbridge Self Portrait Competition 2014 is your chance to show, as John Singer Sargent claimed that a portrait is more than "a painting with something wrong with the mouth" but, as Alexander Smith felt, like "being present at one's creation."
Terms and Conditions:
By entering the Competition it is deemed that you have accepted these terms and conditions.
- The competition is open to residents and people working in the Borough of Elmbridge.
- There will be four categories: 7-11 (primary), 11-14 (secondary), 15-18 years and ages 19+.
- The closing date for entries is Wednesday 29 October 2014.
- Entrants can submit a maximum of 3 images/pieces of work, either as individual images/pieces or as a series of images/pieces (please state if it is a series on submission).
- Entries must be accompanied by an entry form.
- Prints should be minimum 6" x 8" on photographic paper: colour or black and white, or on CD. If you would like the prints or CD returned, please enclose a stamped addressed envelope. They should be sent to the Arts Development Officer, Elmbridge Borough Council, Civic Centre, High Street, Esher, Surrey, KT10 9SD
- Images can be sent electronically to the as a |Arts Development Officer JPEG or PDF file and the size should not exceed 5MB. Images received by email will be acknowledged within 5 days. If you do not receive acknowledgement, please contact the |Arts Development Officer
- Retouching/manipulation of a digital image is acceptable provided that all works are original works and not copies of other people's works.
Other Media Entries:
- Photos or scans of your work (not more than 1MB each) should be emailed to the |Arts Development Officer. Acknowledgment of image received will be sent within 5 days. If you do not receive acknowledgement, please contact the |Arts Development Officer.
- Please include a separate sheet, listing the title, size (in cm), medium (eg oil, acrylic, or what sort of printmaking - screen print/etching/lino cut etc.) and date of each work. The works submitted must be available during Jan/Feb 2015, in case they are chosen for the exhibition. If chosen, the work must be delivered framed and ready to be hung.
- All works should have a title.
- You can enter an image/piece that has previously been entered into or has won another competition, provided that, by doing so, you are not in breach of the terms and conditions of this or any other competition.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The entrants must be the sole owner of copyright in all photographs/pieces entered and must have obtained permission of any people featured in the entries or their parents/guardians if children under 18 are featured (see attached form). Furthermore, entrants must not have breached any laws when taking photographs.
- Entrants retain copyright in their images/pieces. By entering the competition entrants grant Elmbridge Borough Council the right to publish and exhibit their photographs/pieces on the Elmbridge Borough Council website and in the exhibition at Riverhouse and at other public spaces in the borough as part of this exhibition.
- Elmbridge Borough Council reserve the right to refuse images/pieces that it considers offensive or inappropriate to the competition; for example pictures that are obscene, in poor taste or that incite political, racist or religious hatred.
- The judges' decision is final and no discussion or correspondence can be entered into in respect of their decision.
- Prizewinners will be announced on Wednesday 12 November 2014.
For further details, please contact the |Arts Development Officer