What is Council Tax Support

Who can claim?

You can only claim Council Tax Support if you are liable to pay council tax.

You cannot get Council Tax Support if you have capital of over £16,000, unless you are already receiving the guaranteed part of the Pension Credit. Capital means savings, land, property or anything else which council provide you with income.

In terms of claiming Council Tax Support:

  • you must be on a low income
  • it doesn't matter whether you are in work or not
  • you can be employed or self-employed
  • you can get Council Tax Support even if you do not receive any other benefits
  • you may be single or have a partner
  • you may be a pensioner
  • you do not need to have paid any National Insurance contributions

Most students do not qualify for Council Tax Support, but there are a few exceptions. You cannot claim Council Tax Support for a second home. 

How much support could I receive?

To work out your award, we will look at the following:

  • Money you and your partner have coming in (earnings, benefits, tax credits and pensions)

  • Your savings and your partner's savings

  • You personal circumstances (age, disability, having children and other people living in the household)

You can get an idea of how much benefit you may get, by using our online benefit calculator.

Second Adult Rebate is Council Tax Support for people over state pension credit age who may not have a partner, but who share their home with someone who is 18 or over, is on a low income and does not pay rent.

If you are not sure whether to claim Second Adult Rebate, then make a claim for full Council Tax Support and we will check your entitlement for both benefits and pay you whichever benefit is the highest.

Services by A-Z