Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new single monthly payment for people in or out of work, which will eventually join together some of the benefits and tax credits that you might be getting now.

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Income Support

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Housing Benefit

Who will it affect?

It will only affect a few people at first.

From February 2016 single jobseekers in Elmbridge making a new benefit claim, may be required to apply for Universal Credit.

This will be if:

  • you are making a new claim for a relevant benefit - at the moment this is Jobseekers Allowance
  • you are aged 18 to 60 (+6 months)
  • you do not have any children or other dependents
  • you do not have a disability or a long term illness

There is information on Gov.UK to check to see if you need to claim Universal Credit.

How to claim? 

You will be expected to make your Universal Credit application online.

You cannot backdate your Universal Credit claim so it is important that you make your claim as soon as possible.  A step-by-step video guide has been produced to show how to make and manage a claim for Universal Credit online (see below). 

Get set for Universal Credit

If you live in Elmbridge, are aged between 18 and 65 and are claiming benefits or may need to start claiming benefits, then the Get Set! website can help you find out whether you will be affected by Universal Credit, help you prepare to apply and manage your Universal Credit claim online.  The Get Set! website includes a guide to services and support available locally to help you get ready for Universal Credit, including details on where to get help on a whole range of issues, from budgeting advice through to employment support and improving your computer skills to help you claim online.

As well as staff here at the Council, Paragon Asra (PA) Housing, Esher Citizens Advice and Elmbridge West Citizens Advice and Weybridge Job Centre each have trained Universal Credit champions able to assist Elmbridge residents to get ready for Universal Credit.

In receipt of Universal Credit and struggling to pay your rent?

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit (Housing Costs) and you are struggling to pay any shortfall in your rent, you can apply to Elmbridge Borough Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

Services by A-Z