Register your food business

You are required by law to register your food business 28 days before you open.

This applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home, and mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans.

If you use two or more premises, you will need to register all of them.

If food premises are used by several catering businesses (e.g. a village hall or conference centre), the person who allows the premises to be used for this purpose is responsible for registering them.

When should I register?

You must register your business with us at least 28 days before you open

It’s free to register.

If you use premises in more than one Local Authority you must register with each authority separately.


Childminding businesses

If you are setting up a childminding business and you will be providing food as part of your service, please see information on how you register.

Services by A-Z