|Skip to content
|Home page
|What's new
|Site map
|Feedback form
|List of access keys
| rating button

Environmental Permits

What are Environmental Permits?

Some activities that can cause pollution need to be 'permitted' to operate. This permit contains conditions that must be observed to make sure pollution is kept under control.

The activities are divided into three types: Part A(1), Part A(2), and Part B.

  • Part A(1) activities are regulated by the |Environment Agency. Examples include large iron and steel foundries, brickworks, chemical production, waste disposal etc.

  • Part A(2) activities within Elmbridge are regulated by Elmbridge Borough Council. Examples include some smaller but similar activities to those under Part A(1). Details of the lower thresholds of size can be obtained by contacting |Environmental Services.

  • Part B activities within Elmbridge are regulated by Elmbridge Borough Council. Some examples are listed below.

Which activities need a permit?

Examples are:

  • Combustion processes e.g. waste oil burners
  • Incinerators e.g. crematoria and animal carcass incineration
  • Timber processes e.g. timber / chipboard manufacture and chemical timber treatment
  • Mineral processes e.g. quarrying, cement plant and mineral screening, grading and crushing
  • Animal and plant treatment processes e.g. animal rendering, animal feed compounding, pet food, composting and manure drying
  • Solvent and oil recovery processes e.g. petrol filling stations and dry cleaners
  • Coating processes e.g. printing, vehicle re-spraying and coating (paint, adhesives, powder, resin and ink)
  • Maggot breeding
  • Di-isocyanate processing

This list is not complete and if you are unsure you should contact |Environmental Services.

How can I find out if I need a permit?

If you think you might need a permit contact |Environmental Services and we can advise you.

You could also |visit the Environment Agency website for further information.

How do I apply for a permit?

You can |download and complete an application form or obtain one from from |Environmental Services.

With your complete form you need to include:

  • the application fee
  • full description of the process, including precautions taken to minimise or prevent air pollution
  • appropriate drawings and process diagrams
  • techniques for monitoring, sampling and measurement of air emissions including an assessment of the likely environmental consequences of any emissions to air
  • a statement of how your proposal will meet the 'Best Available Techniques Not Entailing Excessive Cost (BATNEEC) objectives
  • any other information specifically requested.

How much will it cost me?

A one-off application fee, plus an annual subsistence fee payable in April every year. (In the first year of application, a proportion of this subsistence fee is paid depending on how many months remain until the following March).

The fees and charges for 2015/16 have not changed from 2014/15, therefore the following link is correct.

What if my application is refused or I think the conditions are unreasonable?

Talk to us first, but if you are still dissatisfied you may appeal to the Secretary of State for the Environment.

Can I see a list of existing permits?

Find out more about regulating pollution where you work

UK Pollutant Release and Transfer Register

  • Access the |DEFRA webpages providing information about pollutants and waste transfer from industrial processes across the UK.

Search A-Z of services