A Witness Statement is your account of what occurred "in your own words". This can be used to support more formal action, such as service of a Noise Abatement Notice, and any legal action should the matter progress to court.
How do I complete a witness statement?
- Start with information about yourself, including where you live, how long you have lived there, and who you live with.
- Briefly give some background to your complaint.
- Describe, in detail, the specific incident(s).
- Keep your statement factual about what you experienced. Include accurate times, dates and names of anyone that you spoke to.
- Describe what effect this had on you and your family.
- Remember, you are signing to confirm that the statement is true to the best of your knowledge, and that you will be liable to prosecution if you have wilfully stated anything which you know to be false, or do not believe to be true.
- Witness Statement Template
Download a witness statement template
- |Witness Statement - if you have Microsoft Word software you can download this form to your computer, complete and return online using the |online noise reporting form or by email
- |Witness Statement - in PDF format you can print, complete and return
Note: Remember to keep a copy of anything you send or upload.
Remember, gathering evidence is often the key to progressing your case.
Did you know you can upload short audio/visual evidence, witness statements and diary records all using our |online noise reporting form.
See also: |Our guide to gathering evidence