How do you rate this information /service?
What is mediation?
Mediation is a way of helping people explore their problems and aims to help people communicate effectively with other parties in dispute situations. With the help of trained mediators neighbours get a real chance to address their problems in a non-confrontational, safe and sensitive manner with the aim of allowing those involved to live side by side more peaceably without fear or loss of quality of life.
- You remain in complete control of the process
- Mediators do not take sides
- Community mediation within Elmbridge is free
- |Mediation North Surrey (MNS), an independent charity, has undertaken mediation within the Borough of Elmbridge since 1998.
How does it work?
- If you are having a problem with your neighbours, you can contact Mediation North Surrey directly or via ourselves (Environmental Health & Licensing) With your permission trained mediators will visit you at home to listen to your problems. A similar visit will be made to your neighbours.
- If you are both willing, a mediation session with both parties together will be arranged in a private venue. During the session, both sides have a chance to talk without being interrupted. The mediators ensure any anger is safely contained.
- Usually an agreement is reached which both parties are willing to accept. The agreement may be written down and signed but it is not legally binding. Over 85% of mediated cases conclude with a positive result.
Want to find out more?
- Read a |mediation case study
Still not sure you want to take part?
It's common to have reservations. Remember a surprising number of problems can be resolved by just trying. What's the alternative? Mediation North Surrey have produced the following short video:
Want to proceed or to discuss your case?
- |Mediation North Surrey website
- |Environmental Health & Licensing (for queries about using mediation to help with noise matters)
Finally, want to get on better with your neighbours?
Consider the following |top ten tips written by Mediation North Surrey to help get on with your neighbours.