|Skip to content
|Home page
|What's new
|Site map
|Feedback form
|List of access keys
| rating button

Premises Licence Application

To provide |late night refreshments, |regulated entertainment or sell or supply alcohol, you will need a licence from the local authority (if you are in England and Wales).

A premises licence authorises the use of any premises (vehicle, vessel or moveable structure or any place or a part of any premises), for licensable activities. A single licence covers all activities. If alcohol is sold or supplied you are required to name a designated premises supervisor on your premises licence, and ensure that all alcohol sales are authorised by a personal licence holder.

Once granted, premises licences will last for the life of the business and therefore will not need to be renewed, although an annual fee will be payable.

Who Can Apply?Image of bottles

Any of the following may apply for a premises licence:

  • anyone who uses carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates
  • a recognised club
  • a charity
  • a health service body
  • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
  • The proprietor of an educational institute
  • any other permitted person

Applicants must be over 18 years of age

|Licensing fees and how to pay

Application Forms

Forms for making applications under the Licensing Act 2003 are available below or from the |Gov.UK website. Forms marked with HTML icon are available to complete online, others can be downloaded, printed, completed and returned to |Environmental Health & Licensing together with the relevant attachments.

Note: If you visit the Civic Centre to submit a licence application, please do so between the hours of 10.00 am and 4.00 pm. We regret that we are unable to accept applications outside these hours.

If you are planning a large-scale event (e.g. a pop concert) we would ask that you provide very early notice to both the Licensing Authority and the |responsible authorities before you submit an application for a premises licence. Further information on large-scale events is contained in the |Home Office guidance under the Licensing Act 2003 to which all licensing authorities across the country have to have regard.

Search A-Z of services