The Borough of Elmbridge has well over a thousand volunteers, already active in some capacity, who give their time to make Elmbridge a better place to live. Delivering meals to house bound older people and improving the countryside are just a few of the roles available in this diverse Borough.
More volunteers are always required!!
If you are thinking of volunteering but haven't got the time, think again. You can volunteer for as little as two hours of your time a month. There are opportunities to work inside or out, evenings, weekdays or weekends and you can use your experience and/or gain new skills.
Volunteers can help the whole community, including the vulnerable, socially excluded or disabled people, children, young people and families, all of whom need support. Volunteering makes a difference to people's lives and as a volunteer; you gain by making new friends and possibly even learning new skills.
Centres for the Community Volunteers
There are seven |Centres for the Community in Elmbridge and volunteers play a huge part in ensuring the centres remain comfortable and welcoming places. We support and help local older and disabled people by offering a range of support services to enable them to remain independent and to stay at home.
Volunteers at our Community Centres can provide support in the following areas:
- Tea Bar - Providing refreshments to visitors to the centres.
- Information desk - Greeting visitors to the centres, taking bookings for lunches and selling a variety of goods, from eggs to greetings cards!
- Admin Support - Providing support to the centre administration staff by answering phones, taking cancellations for meals on wheels etc.
- |Men in Sheds Project - We are looking for volunteers to assist with practical activities such as woodwork
- Garden Maintenance - We are currently planning and designing a new Community Garden, which we hope to have open at |Molesey Centre for the Community by the end of the year. When completed, we will require volunteers to help with the general upkeep of the garden.
- IT support
- Arts and Crafts
- Special events helper
- Special outings helper
- Help in the Centre kitchens
- Do you have any special skills? Play musical instrument? Know how to play cards? We'd love to hear from you!
We offer flexible arrangements, if you have a few spare hours a week or every now and again - you can make a real difference.
Meals on Wheels Volunteering
|The Meals-on-Wheels Service delivers about 1,200 meals a week to older vulnerable and disabled people in the community. The meals are delivered by dedicated volunteers who really make a difference to the lives of others. A mileage rate is paid to cover petrol costs. Each round takes approximately 1 to 2 hours at weekends and approximately 1½ hours on weekdays. Meals on Wheels is more than delivering a hot meal, it can provide the only contact with the outside world the recipient has during the day. Our research has shown that our clients highly value this service. Even if you cannot drive, we are always looking for escorts to assist the drivers with the delivery of the meals.
Relief Carers Scheme
|The Relief Carers Scheme supports people suffering from Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia. We are looking for volunteers who may consider helping in one of our Specialist Day Care Groups working with trained staff.
Are you a voluntary organisation?
The |Voluntary Sector Support Officere would like to hear from you if you run a voluntary organisation in Elmbridge. This also includes voluntary organisations who may be based outside Elmbridge but support people in the borough. The VSSO has also compiled a |directory of all the voluntary organisations operating in Elmbridge so please make sure your organisation is included.