|Skip to content
|Home page
|What's new
|Site map
|Feedback form
|List of access keys
| rating button

Wards and Election Information

How can I find out which ward I am in?

You can find out which ward you are in and who your local councillor is by using |My Neighbourhood

Map of new ward boundaries

When are elections held?

May 2017

Surrey County Council election

May 2018

Borough Council elections

May 2019

Borough Council elections and Claygate Parish Council election

May 2020

UK Parliamentary General election, Borough Council elections and Police and Crime Commissioner election.

  • Elmbridge Borough Council has 48 councillors. 16 councillors are elected each year in three years out of four. Each councillor serves for four years.
    Find out when a councillor's term of office expires |Councillor Election Dates
  • Elections are usually held on the first Thursday of May each year. If a seat becomes vacant between scheduled elections, for example, because of the resignation or death of an elected representative, a by-election may be held.
  • Elections for Surrey County councillors take place in years when there are no elections for Elmbridge councillors.
  • UK Parliamentary (general) elections are held every five years.
  • Police and Crime Commissioner for Surrey elections are held every four years.
  • Claygate Parish Council has 10 members. They are elected every four years.

|View the Electoral Commissions voter website

How can I stand for election?

Borough, County or Parish Councillor

Any British, Irish, Commonwealth or other European Union citizen aged 18 or over can stand at a Borough Council, County Council or Parish Council election. You must live, work or own land or property in the Borough (or County or Parish). You do not need to be a member of a political party.

You must get your nomination paper signed by ten people registered to vote in the ward (or County Division) in which you wish to stand. At a parish election you must get your paper signed by two people registered to vote in the parish. The closing date for nominations is about 4 weeks before the election.

Member of Parliament

Any British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen aged 18 or over can stand at a UK parliamentary election. You do not have to live or work in the constituency in which you wish to stand. You do not need to be a member of a political party.

You must get your nomination paper signed by ten people registered to vote in the constituency, and pay a deposit of 500 which will be returned to you if you get 5% or more of the votes cast. The closing date for nominations at a parliamentary election is 6 days after the election has been called.

Police and Crime Commissioner

A person may stand as a PCC if they are 18 or over; they are a British, Commonwealth or EU citizen; they are registered to vote in the force area in which they wish to stand.

A person may not stand as a PCC if they have been convicted of an imprisonable offence; they are a serving civil servant, judge, police officer, member of the regular armed forces, employee of a council within the force area, employee of a police related agency, employee of another government agency, politically restricted post-holder, member of police staff (including PCSOs) or member of a police authority.

MEPs, MSPs, AMs and MPs will be able to stand as PCCs, but will need to stand down from their existing post before being able to accept the post of PCC.

To be formally nominated a candidate's nomination will need to be signed by 100 people registered to vote in the police force area where the candidate is standing.

The candidate will need to give a deposit of 5,000 which will be returned if they receive more than 5% of the votes cast in the election.

For more information contact |Home Office - Police and Crime Commissioners

Is there help available for people with disabilities?

A programme is available to help people with disabilities access electoral positions. The |Access to Elected Office Fund provides grants to help disabled candidates meet the additional costs they face compared to a non-disabled person seeking election (for example, additional travel expenses, or carer support).

Search A-Z of services