|Skip to content
|Home page
|What's new
|Site map
|Feedback form
|List of access keys
| rating button

Approved Document P - Electrical Safety

From 1 st January 2005 the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations will be controlled under the building regulations.

Approved Document P will apply mainly to dwellings. This includes the gardens and outbuildings such as sheds, garages and greenhouses.

  • What does this mean?

    - From the 1 st January 2005 all electrical work will need to comply with the requirements of Approved Document P and be carried out by people who are competent to do the work.

    - All electrical work that involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling or electrical work in kitchens, bathrooms or special locations will either need to be notified to Building Control or carried out by a competent person who is registered with a Part P Self certification Scheme .

    If an application is submitted under the Building Regulations an installation and test certificate signed by a competent person will be required.

    - Small jobs such as replacing socket outlets or light switches on an existing circuit will not require approval under the Building Regulations. (However there are exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.)

    - Electrical work in garages, garden sheds and greenhouses will also come under the control of Building Control.

  • Definitions

    - A competent electrician: This will include members of the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC), the Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) and the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA).

    - Special Locations: include fixed garden lighting or power installations (including ponds), swimming pools, electric floor heating systems, hot air saunas and locations containing a shower or bath tub.

    - Persons registered with Part P Self Certification Schemes will be fully qualified electrical contractors with the ability to design, install and thoroughly test a circuit for safety. They will be able to issue certificates of compliance with the Building Regulations.

  • Further Guidance.
    Useful guidance to Approved Document P can be found on the |NICEIC,|IEE and |ECA websites.

  • Part P Self Certification Schemes
    There are currently five schemes in operation:
    - BRE Certification Ltd
    - ELECSA Limited
    - Zurich Certification Limited
    - British Standards Institution
    - NICEIC Certification Services Ltd

  • Summary

    - Any electrical work which requires an approval under the Building Regulations will need to be carried out by competent, qualified electricians and be supported by an installation and test certificate.

    - Any Full plans application which includes electrical work will need to include the confirmation that "All electrical work will be carried out by a competent person".

    - Before completion of the project a copy of:
    1. an electrical installation certificate issued under the Part P Self certification scheme, or
    2. an electrical installation and test certificate signed by a competent person.

  • |Building Control Information sheet Part P

Search A-Z of services